Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What am I listening to these days?

I am listening to mostly bass players these days- Esperanza Spalding, Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, John Entwistle especially. I especially like Esperanza's Chamber Music Society and Stanley Clarke's the Stanley Clarke Band.

As a middle aged person I am rediscovering the bass. I used to play when I was younger, and now I am taking it up again. I am pleasantly surprised that I still have my chops, although I need some discipline in my playing. I practice everyday!

It is so fun to get go back to something you enjoy, and that gives you so much pleasure! For me it is an expression of the Life Force, and helping to think and feel young!

And can I give a call out to my little brother Layne, who gave me the bass I am using, and has inspired me with his renewed musical career?

Here are some of my favorite videos featuring some awesome bass players!

Esperanza Spalding performing I Know You Know at the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in 2009:



Esperanza performing her composition, Mela, here in two video parts; some really hot bass playing on the upright:






Stanley Clarke upright bass solo:



The Who performing Heaven and Hell; John Entwistle, who authored this song, offers some terrific bass playing here:



and finally, John Entwistle performing a meaty solo on the Who's 5.15:



I will be back with some more posts on these players. Enjoy the videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment