Sunday, October 23, 2011

Esperanza Spalding Bass Solos, with Joe Lovano and US5

Last night, I had the great pleasure of watching Joe Lovano's excellent ensemble, US5 perform at the Hopkins Art Center in Minneapolis. US5 features rising stars Esperanza Spalding on bass, Francisco Mela and Otis Brown III on drums and percussion, and James Weidman The show was terrific, featuring songs from Joe & US5's last two CDs, Folk Art and Bird Songs.

Joe was very generous in allowing Esperanza to have several bass solos. I have video of two of them here.

I apologize the visual quality of both my pictures and videos are not all that great (my phone camera isn't the best), but the sound quality on the video is fine.

I met the band after the show and got another autograph from Esperanza.

If you have an opportunity to see Joe Lovano and US5 live, do so. It is one of the best jazz concerts you will ever see.

links:
Joe Lovano 

Esperanza Spalding 

Bird Songs by Joe Lovano and US5

Folk Art by Joe Lovano and US5







No comments:

Post a Comment