Monday, January 30, 2012

Reflections on Today's Bible Readings on My Birthday

"I cry to God Most High, to God who fulfils his purpose for me." - Psalm 57.2

- from today's Daily Office, an apt birthday prayer to have God's purpose fulfilled for my life. Notice it is GOD who fulfills my purpose. This fits in well with another passage from today's readings:

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." - Hebrews 11.1

I must see the fulfillment of my life. I visualize my life in the future, with all the blessings God has in store for me, with God's purpose for me in mind.

Notice that in today's gospel, Jesus uses the word "see" as a synonym for faith:

"This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day." - John 6.40.

To have faith in the Son of God is to "see" him. St. Peter speaks of how we "do not see him but love him." But we do see Christ with the eyes of faith.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!

    May it be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed the date. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete