Sunday, February 19, 2012

Music Review: Kisses on the Bottom by Paul McCartney

Paul McCartney has just released a beautiful album of standards called, Kisses on the Bottom. I greatly enjoy this CD of jazz pop standards, they are part of the American song book. Paul's treatment gives them all such a warm feel. The album's title, "Kisses on the Bottom", comes from the album's opening track "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter," originally a hit for Fats Waller in 1935. The album has a light jazz feel, and Paul gives a charming vocal performance throughout the album. This is new territory for Paul, although he has has loved music like this all his life.


Some of the highlights are standards made popular by Sam Cooke ("Home (When Shadows Fall)"), Ella Fitzgerald ("It's Only a Paper Moon") and Danny Kaye ("The Inch Worm"), among others.

Paul plays acoustic guitar on two tracks, "Get Yourself Another Fool" and "The Inch Worm," but otherwise contributes only vocals to the album. Paul is backed up on the album by Diana Krall and her band.

In addition to the standards performed on this record, Paul pens two original compositions, the albums first single, “My Valentine,” and the CD's last track, “Only Our Hearts.” Eric Clapton plays lead acoustic guitar on “My Valentine,” and Stevie Wonder plays harmonica on “Only Our Hearts.”

I especially love “My Valentine.” It is a beautiful song, with a lovely melody and sung with much feeling by Paul. It stands with his best work, including any of his songs with the Beatles. Paul gave a live performance of the song at this year's Grammy Awards show.

The disc was produced by jazz producer Tommy LiPuma, who has worked with such notables as Miles Davis and Barbra Streisand, among others.

In announcing this new release, Paul said, “This is an album very tender, very intimate. This is an album you listen to at home after work, with a glass of wine or a cup of tea.”

Indeed, it is wonderful to listen to if you want to unwind. I enjoy having something light but interesting to listen to. This fits the bill. I have been listening to it on my Blackberry all week.

On this CD, Paul maintains the high level of performance that he has given us on recent CDs. Paul has done some of the best work of his career in the last 20 years, proving to this often ageist culture that the mature artist has much to offer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Below are two videos of Paul's "My Valentine," one the official video, and the other his performance of the song at this year's Grammy Awards Show. I have also below the track listing and order links. 






Here is the track list to "Kisses On The Bottom": 

01. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter 
02. Home (When Shadows Fall) 
03.  It's Only A Paper Moon 
04. More I Cannot Wish You 
05. The Glory Of Love   
06. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me) 
07. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive 
08. My Valentine 
09. Always 
10. My Very Good Friend The Milkman 
11. Bye Bye Blackbird 
12. Get Yourself Another Fool 
13. The Inch Worm 
14. Only Our Hearts 
 15.  Baby's Request (Deluxe Edition) 
16.  My One And Only Love (Deluxe Edition)


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Order Links for Kisses on the Bottom: 


Kisses on the Bottom, standard edition 


Kisses on the Bottom, Deluxe edition 


Kisses on the Bottom, MP.3


Kisses on the Bottom, Vinyl edition





1 comment: