Sunday, June 28, 2015

Chris Squire, Virtuoso Bassist and Co-Founder of Progressive Rock Group Yes Passes Away


Chris Squire passed away today (June 28, 2015). He was one of the greatest bass players of all time, known for his virtuoso playing on his stereo-amplified Rickenbacker bass. In the seventies, Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, and Chris Squire made it really cool to play a Ricky!

Along with Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Stanley Clarke, he was one of the bassists who influenced me to want to play bass.

One of my favorite albums is his solo 1975 Fish Out of Water. Here is a blog piece I wrote in 2012 on his 1975 solo album, Fish out of Water.

One of the very first concerts I ever saw was Yes. I remember their revolving stage and Squire ' s flashy playing, which was essentially the lead instrument on some songs.

May he rest in peace.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here is a link to Rolling Stone's news release on Chris Squire's passing:
Chris Squire, Bassist and Yes Co-Founder, Dead at 67

Here is the music video of Chris Squire's Hold Out Your Hand and You By My Side from his Fish Out of Water Album:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment