Monday, August 29, 2016
Colin Kaepernick did the right thing
Colin Kaepernick did the right thing.
1) The police are supposed to protect us, not assassinating black men for having their tail lights out. Law Enforcement people should not be killing unarmed people at all.
2) Until rogue police (I am not indicting all police) are held accountable for shooting unarmed people for no good reason, Americans SHOULD protest. We are not supposed to be living in a police state.
The problems of racial injustice are not only problems with the police:
1) Several states have moved the last couple of years to restrict voting rights, which disproportionately discriminates against African-Americans;
2) We have a prison-industrial complex that disproportionately incarcerates people of color for minor, non-violent drug offenses;
3) The unemployment rate for African-Americans is significantly higher than for whites.
When some of these social issues can be addressed effectively, then, perhaps, people no longer will need to protest.